Value Engineering/Value Analysis (VE/VA), as defined by the Society of American Value Engineers (SAVE International), is the systematic application of recognized techniques by a multi-disciplinary team that identifies the functions of a product or service to ultimately generate alternatives with higher value through the use of creative thinking.
The PRBIDP is a multipurpose project in Capiz Province, Western Visayas, proposed by the National Irrigation Administration (NIA) that aims to irrigate farmlands and increase rice production, mitigate flooding in frequently inundated municipalities, supply potable water to nearby residents, generate hydropower, and manage the watershed. It involves the construction of:
(i) A multi-purpose high dam for water storage that will provide year-round supply of water for irrigation, 3 cubic meters of bulk water supply and hydroelectric power;
(ii) An Afterbay Dam that will regulate/control the water level of the reservoir and its release to the main canal; and
(iii) A High Line Canal and a floodway component system to help mitigate flooding downstream.
Once completed, the project can irrigate 26,800 hectares of land during the wet season and 18,773 hectares during the dry season.
The joint venture of SYSTRA Philippines Incorporated and the Engineering & Development Corporation of the Philippines (EDCOP) was awarded the contract for consulting services to conduct a VE/VA Study for the PRBIDP, taking into account the various components of the project and its primary, secondary and incidental functions as well as primary objectives.
The VEVA Workshops proper were conducted for each of the PRBIDP components/functions:
- Optimum and sustainable use of water for agriculture and fishery development;
- Flood mitigation;
- Use of water for power generation and transmission and potable water supply; and
- Watershed management.
In addition, the Consultant also:
- Conducted on-the-job capacity building for government counterpart personnel, through learning-by-doing and actual participation in the VE/VA process;
- Capacitated technical personnel from relevant oversight and implementing agencies on the VE/VA process to be adopted during the course of the study; and
- Capacitated supervisors, managers and other representatives of the public sector on the VE/VA process.
The project was completed in August 2019.