The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) awarded in 2014 a project extending the Light Rail Transit Line 1 (LRT1) to Cavite, a distance of approximately 12 kilometers, and 8 stations. Together with said extension, DOTC proposed to interconnect the LRT1 and MRT3 systems in the general vicinity of Trinoma Mall in Quezon City.
In its terms of reference, the DOTC committed to construct a Common Station allowing for a seamless passenger interconnectivity and proposed a conceptual design known as Design 7D. This design is expected to meet the stringent key performance indicators (KPI) contained in the Concession Agreement.
The DOTC allowed the winning bidder to propose, within 60 days from Notice of Award, an alternative conceptual design that will best comply with all operational requirements, as well as meet the technical, financial, and passenger convenience objectives it has set forth.
Light Rail Manila Corporation (LRMC) contracted SYSTRA Philippines to prepare its alternative design and provided the former with two major sets of compliance requirements, namely:
- Minimum requirements to comply with DOTC’s objectives.
- Complementary requirements to ensure a superior passenger experience
SYSTRA delivered the architectural and E&M design, to include:
- architectural statements that will define the required characteristics to meet the line requirements (ridership, headway, connectivity, operating guidelines, turnback issues, traffic demand, …).
- architectural concept: functional designs, architectural envelop and design, preliminary bill of quantities (BOQ), Sizing report, etc.
- stations integration with other planned transport infrastructure (interchange stations, other mass transport lines, etc.).
- integration of the commercial aspect
This contract was completed in May 2015.