Following instructions from the Office of the President, the DOTC issued Department Order 2010-26, creating a Task Force for the Midterm Evaluation/Review of the NORTHRAIL Project, of which the SES-Joint Venture was appointed as the Consultant Team. This involved the technical, legal and transactional due diligence review of the Northrail Project Phase I Section I (Caloocan to Malolos) and Section II (Malolos to Mabalacat) was “in light of allegations of exorbitant pricing and non-viability”. The study was to also “look into the possibility of making the project cater not only to commuters but also to cargo”.
The Review Framework consisted of the following tasks:
- Review of the project configuration; General Project Review (Section 1);
- Assessment of the Northrail Project Phase 1 Section II;
- Recommend technical adjustments or project revisions;
- Review of Project Management and Organization;
- Preparation of Owner’s Estimates; and,
- Assistance during Contract renegotiation, if warranted.
The task was performed over a period of 8 months.